Saturday, July 12, 2008

Burnin' the Midnight Oil

I'm required to play a certain amount of "rotation" during the show. These are the newish albums that the station gets as promos. Playing them insures that we keep getting more of them, so every two-hour show plays eight rotation tracks. Generally takes half an hour. I plow through them first thing, since I hate trying to sequence them into the rest of the show. It's a good way to listen to new music and see if you like something or not by inflicting it on anyone listening.

This evening my rotation included the new My Morning Jacket (decent enough album, but certainly a drop off from their last few), a track off the new Colin Meloy live album, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes covering "The Boxer" and a few other oddities. The station doesn't get everything, but they certainly have enough to keep me interested.

Been burning through the electronica section, grabbed up a bunch of out-of-print Meat Beat Manifesto. Free music is a powerful addiction. It's all that really has me up at 3 AM doing this. Starting to feel burnt out already though, and it's only been a few weeks.

No comments: